9:00am – 4:00pm Registration at 8:45am
$539 per person
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
Records officers, administration officers or Information Managers with responsibility for records management.
This practical course will provide participants with the skills and knowledge to establish a Disposal Program for their organisation.
On completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with relevant disposal authorities or Retention and Disposal Schedules;
- Apply the disposal authority to active and inactive records, using appraisal techniques;
- Review records designated for destruction and obtain authorisation for destruction;
- Resentencing records when disposal authorities are updated;
- Plan and implement a regular program of disposal;
- Prepare records designated as State Archives for transfer to State Records Office;
- Apply disposal decisions at the time of creation of a file;
- Broadly discuss the GDA for Source Records, where relevant;
- Identify storage options for active and inactive records;
- Assess storage conditions for various storage media;
- Pack storage boxes for efficient future disposal.
ITEMS REQUIRED BY THE PARTICIPANT
Please bring with you the following which can be found on the State Records Office website. Due to frequent changes in the links on the site we no longer provide you with direct links as they are often broken. We can confirm that all items below are currently available via the SRO’s website. You can also contact the SRO on 9427 3600.
- If you are a Local Government agency: General Disposal Authority for Local Government Records
- If you are a State Government agency: General Disposal Authority for State Government Information
- For both State and Local Government: General Disposal Authority for Source Records
- Directions for Keeping State Archives Awaiting Transfer to the State Archives Collection
- Guideline – Archival Storage Specification
- Standard 7 – State Archives Retained by Government Organisations